Friday, April 15, 2011

O Galilee sweet Galilee

Keeping my hands warm while on the boat.
We had an amazing discussion while
on the Sea of Galilee.
The sunsets were so beautiful here, we stayed right on the beach.

In seminary they use learning devices to help students feel a connection to the teachings. For example in the year I was studying Doctrine and Covenants there was a heavy emphasis on missionary work so they did this huge mock-up on giving all the students their “call” with an envelope and letter they gave details of their mission. The call that was “extended” to me was to Illinois Peoria. I didn’t know where it was, and still don’t really, but I had this connection to that place for a day in seminary as if I were going on a mission. Similarly in my New Testament year in seminary my teacher devised a learning mechanism with giving each student a name from the New Testament. My friend Mike was given the name of the apostle Luke, so I would refer to him as Luke in class or likewise my friend Chelsea was given the name Martha so I called her Martha in class. I was given the name Galilee which as you know isn’t a name of a person but a place. But for whatever reason why this was given to me I’ve always carried with me since my seminary years a fondest to the name and place of Galilee. Galilee is  a magical place, I have found that my understanding of Christ and his ministry has deepened because of visually being able to place the events of his miracles. I have seen the miracle in my own life of Christ entering in and making me feel whole and complete.  


No comments:

Post a Comment